1. Extra School
Pediatric dental specialists go to school for an extra 2-3 years after regular dental school! They train specifically to treat children’s teeth at different stages of their development and learn about working with children with special needs.
Dr. Payam (the BEST pediatric dentist specialist stafford) earned his Doctor in Dental Surgery in 2000 and completed his two-year Advanced Pediatric Dentistry Certificate Program at Tufts School of Dental Medicine in 2011.
2. Only Children!
Pediatric dental specialists treat kids and only kids! They are experts in treating children from birth to adolescence.
You may be wondering why babies would need dental care but in fact the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that every child has their first dental visit by their first birthday.
This is a sensitive age for children so it’s important to bring them to someone who knows exactly how to care for them — a pediatric dental specialist!
3. Wide Range of Treatments
Pediatric dental specialists do more than just well visit checks. Here’s just a few of the things they do on a regular basis:
- Serve as an educational resource for parents
- Infant oral health exams, which include risk assessment for cavities in both mother and child
- Preventive dental care including cleaning and fluoride treatments, as well as nutrition and diet recommendations
- Habit counseling for things like pacifier use and thumb sucking
- Early assessment and treatment for straightening teeth and correcting an improper bite (orthodontics)
- Repair of tooth cavities or defects
- Diagnosis of oral conditions associated with diseases such as diabetes, congenital heart defect, asthma, hay fever, and attention deficit/ hyperactivity disorder
- Management of gum diseases and conditions including ulcers, short frenulae, mucoceles, and pediatric periodontal disease
- Care for dental injuries (for example, fractured, displaced, or knocked-out teeth)
Schedule Your Appointment Today!
Come in today to meet the best pediatric dental specialist in the Stafford, Va area — Dr. Payam! We have convenient hours and our simple appointment form makes it a snap to schedule your next appointment.