Summer is a busy time for families, but it’s important not to let your kids’ oral hygiene slip.
Just a few weeks of skipping dental care can lead to problems later on.
Here are some summer dental care tips for kids.
- Don’t wait to schedule a checkup. Many families wait until just before school starts to schedule pediatric dentist checkups. By this time your dentist may not have any appointments available. Instead, schedule a checkup as soon as school lets out, or before you leave on your family vacation.
- Pack extra dental care tools for kids at camp. Items tend to get lost at summer camp, and you don’t want your child to skip brushing for two weeks because of a lost toothbrush. Pack doubles or even triples of toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss and mouth rinse.
- Use mouth guards when appropriate. Increased summer activity means a higher risk of a dental emergency. If your kids are participating in rambunctious sports like off-road biking, rugby or something else, encourage them to wear a mouth guard.
- Substitute sugary junk food for natural treats. Summertime is full of sugary temptations like ice cream and popsicles. Reduce sugar intake by learning how to make delicious natural treats like frozen fresh fruit or ice cold smoothies.
- Enforce pool rules. With so much water play, the chances for a slippery accident are heightened in summer. Make sure your kids follow standard pool safety rules like no running or diving poolside. Explain how to make sure the water is clear of swimmers before jumping in.
- Be ready for dental emergencies. Take the time to make a small dental emergency kit for your purse or glove compartment. Pack gauze, over the counter pain medicine and a small empty bottle to hold any tooth that gets knocked out.
Why not take care of your child’s summer dental checkup appointment right now? Contact us now to schedule a convenient time before summer gets busy.